The CAM industry has seen recent significant upheaval. Smart manufacturers realize these changes will have cascading effects on their businesses and are proactively considering their options.
- Concerned with your CAM provider changing pricing structure?
- Scared by rental-ware subscription models?
- Uncertain how corporate buyouts will affect your investment?
- Have you been told your software is now End-of-Life?
- Getting the feeling they want you to “work in the cloud”?
ShopWare and Mastercam can help.
Mastercam (CNC software Inc.), founded in 1983, is still a family owned company based out of Tolland CT and fully US developed software for US manufacturing. We’re a perpetual licensed, technically mature product with the strongest customer base in the industry.
We answer to our customers.
Not a board or directors. Not shareholders. Not a parent company with 500 other products.
Read More about changes in the CAM Market
Below is additional information on these changes in the market. This is not marketing spin, all facts and data below are linked to the respective companies websites/press releases/official forums. This is not a comprehensive list but a sample of the current state of the industry.
- HSM Works/Autodesk CAM/Fusion 360
- Surfcam/Edgecam- Vero software group
Here are some highlights of these changes:
- Delcam for Solidworks has been announced as End of Life. This means the product will no longer be updated or supported.
- Delcam is ending all perpetual licensing at the end of 2016. New licenses will be subscription only. Users can continue to pay maintenance but if that maintenance lapses the only avenue to update is via what they are calling the “desktop subscription”, which is the rental-ware model for licenses. FAQ PDF.
- Delcam’s acquisition by Autodesk changed their business model. Local resellers were either dropped (such as Axsys Inc. in Detroit) or converted to a corporate office with reduced local staff.
- This acquisition also has meant layoffs for the Delcam corporate team based in Birmingham England. While we cannot confirm the total of employees laid off of their team we have heard reports of around 25%. Mastercam’s new director of European sales was one of those affected at Delcam. Benefit for our community to pick up a long time CAM industry pro.
- Surfcam has been renamed to Surfcam Traditional. Users report that 2016 R2 will be the final release. There has been no news posted since Surfcam traditional was split off.
- Surfcam EVO is their ‘new’ release. See surfcam Evo Milling here. It is essentially a rebrand of the current Edgecam product.
- Current Surfcam traditional users are being asked to upgrade to Evo for an additional maintenance fee and paid training classes out of state.
- Like Delcam, this has caused a shift in resellers and local support in the area. The local Reseller of Edgecam no longer advertises training classes.